Monday, April 20, 2009

Rattlesnake Festival

Every year in Apache they hold a Rattlesnake Festival. It's really like a carnival with a whole bunch of vendors selling stuff (sunglasses, t-shirts, and of course: rattlesnake paraphernalia). It's a lot of fun. We figured we had better frequent the Rattlesnake Festival one last time before leaving Oklahoma.




We paid the $1 to see the snake pit this time :) This was a room where they had an enclosure with a BUNCH of snakes in it. They have a couple guys in there talking about rattlesnakes and holding them up for everyone to see. It was crazy, the snakes were striking at them and everything. There are a LOT more snakes in this pit, we just wanted to get Ashley in the picture.



The kids loved the rides. I tried to convince them they needed to go on the bigger rides with me and Trevor, but they didn't want to. Boo.




There are always a couple people working the festival that carry around rattlesnakes to show people--the rattlesnake's mouth is sewn shut at each corner. Anyway, they had a spot where you could get your picture taken with the snake. Hailey (surprisingly) and Ashley jumped at the chance, but Tyler wouldn't do it.


Erick came with us. Here's Erick eating some rattlesnake. Not all that good. We had some a couple of years ago when we went with some friends and it was mostly breading and bones. Not too much meat.


Good times. We'll miss the annual Rattlesnake Festival!

6 comments:

The Davies Family said...

Gotta love these crazy festivals! Can't imagine eating rattlesnake..yuck! I think I would have left that place with the creepy crawlies..then I would have checked all our belongings to make sure we didn't have any hitch hikers

Lisa Strupp said...

That looks like so much fun! I wish we were there to go with you guys! I didn't know you guys were friends with HURLEY though haha. The guy in that last picture looks like him! WE MISS YOU!!!

Tera said...

Thanks for keeping Erick entertained, although I'm not sure if I'll ever forgive you for allowing him to buy rattle snake fang earings! I told him I would wear them when I feel my inner Rocker Chick come out. You know, after I dye my hair purple... :)

mags said...

ahhhh the rattlesnake festival....they had the best shaved ice. That was great fun. wish we could do it again! whoever is sewing the mouths shut should get some kind of trophy!

Craig and Maggie said...

And I didn't even know the rattlesnake festival existed. Where have I been? Guess there's next year.

Rachel said...

That picture with the kids holding the snake is just too creepy for me. I hate snakes. Hope you had fun.