Wednesday, September 30, 2009

To Buy or To Build, That is the Question

Sometimes I forget that I don't necessarily need pictures to post something...but it's so much funner to look at pictures!

Anyway, we've been really busy lately and it's not even anything in particular that we've been busy with (maybe callings?)...so I haven't posted in a long time. But I've been contemplating a lot lately about if we should buy a house or build one.

We moved into a house that we rent, and have a one year lease. We wanted to look around the town and see what areas we wanted to live. I don't really want to move anymore, so whatever we do--I want to stay there. At least for a while. So I kind of waffle back and forth about if we want an "intermediate" house to live in for a few years until we have saved up the money to build the kind of house that I want. For the record, Trevor thinks I want too much house, but I'm the one who has to live in it all day... Plus I don't want to rent longer than a year, seems like such a waste of money once you've owned your own house.

On the other hand, I don't want to build and then be strapped because we outbuilt our budget (and I know these things ALWAYS cost more than you intended). But if we buy a more affordable house and then down the road decide to build, I'm afraid we won't be able to sell our intermediate house--not a lot of houses moving in our town right now (maybe things will change, but I'm not really sure considering the size of the town).

What do you think?

7 comments:

Erica Johnston said...

WE bought an old house and remodeled?! Don't ask us!

Natalie said...

Kim: I just scrolled through your blog trying to find out what town you live in these days? Your kids are adorable and my daughter is so jealous that they got to see the Jonas brothers! As for the house, I would buy if you find something you like that is budget friendly. We have moved twice and have been able to rent out our previous home until it sold. It's a little risky but theres one idea!

Beck Family said...

Build a house you can afford. If you don't want to move for a while it would be worth it to have the home you want for a good long time. That is what I would do.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I would go forward with both options as far as you can and see what you find out. It seems like once you really get down to details and dollars the wisest course for you becomes more plain. Hard to say. I know sometimes when I'm so busy, my dreams of things beyond what I can currently do call to me. I'm glad you like your new town. I know you can make it work, whatever you choose.

mags said...

build!!! and tell trevor to just calm down. he was blessed with all that talent to build and fix and tile and cement and fence. build dude, it's a no brainer i say.

ps why didn't you come to hawaii? it was for the ada on the army's dime, it was sweet.

Jenn said...

Hi Kim...found you through Jamie's blog....whatever you decide...we are just so glad to have you here in Montana!

Jamie said...

GRRRRL! Time 2 update! I'll babysit 4U while you do it if U want...;) So glad UR here!