Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Trip to the Grocery Store

This might be a better story if I was a good writer. I am not writing this because I want you all to think I'm tough or amazing, because you all have experienced every bit of the following story. I write this so that one day I'll look back and laugh. And also I need to vent a little bit.

So, I needed to go grocery shopping today. I was planning on leaving right after Jason's morning nap (so he would be happy for the majority of the trip). I know, some of you might wonder why I would take all four kids to the grocery store instead of wait until my husband got home to go alone...well, because the kids are USUALLY pretty good, and because I don't want to waste the time I have with my husband in the evening to go grocery shopping. So there you have it.

Jason finally woke up at 11, then I needed to feed him some rice cereal and we were off. I also just need to preface this by saying Ashley was feeling fine this morning...


As we get in the car, the kids want to know if they can have a tattoo at the quarter machines at the grocery store. I tell them if they behave themselves, they can get one at the end of shopping. We're driving, Ashley tells me she doesn't feel good and lays down. We go to the store anyway.

We get to the store--they have ONE, count it, one grocery cart in the entire store with the car on the front--it fits two children in the car, then Jason sits in the front of the cart by the handle, and Tyler will walk or switch off riding in the car. Hailey still is walking a little slow and limping since the cast came off (hence the need for her to ride), and gets upset as I'm trying to cross the road to the entrance--I'm going too fast. I calmly tell her she needs to ask me nicely to slow down and not to cry about it. Anywho---my cart is gone. I usually get this cart because we're not in Utah, and people just don't need it as much here so it's always available. But wouldn't you know it, it's not there. Blast.

I get a normal cart and put Jason in the front, Ashley inside the basket part because she's not looking too hot, a little green actually, I tell Hailey she can ride on the front. Tyler can walk. Hailey's mad because she wants to ride inside the basket, and so starts the waterworks. I tell her no tattoo. She cries harder and begs for a tattoo. "Give me one more chance." Ok, one more chance, but she'd better show me she can behave and talk like a big girl if she has a concern. "Ashley, are you OK? Do you feel like you need to throw up?" She says no. She doesn't feel like she has a temperature. So off we go.

I have quite a lot of groceries to get, and I don't know what I'm going to do with Ashley in the basket once it gets too full. It didn't take long before she got upset with the stuff piling up beside her. I ask her if she wants to walk, she says yes. All through the grocery store Jason's getting more and more upset at being stuck in the cart. Despite the toys I'm giving him. What, you don't want to still suck on the pen after 45 minutes? How about this box of fruit snacks? It's fun to chew on. So I get Jason out to hold him, and Ashley's resting her head on the cart. Poor girl. "Ash, do you want to ride up here?" (By the handle) She does, I put her in while holding Jason in the other arm--he's happy to be held. Now I need to pull the cart, it's too heavy to push and steer with one arm. Hailey has asked about 29 times if it's time to get a tattoo and if she's behaving OK. Yes Hailey, when we leave you can get a tattoo.

We finally make our way through the entire store, up one aisle and down the next. When it's time to checkout, I decide it would be easier to just hold Jason while I pile my overflowing cart full of groceries onto the belt. A nice clerk helped me from the next checkout line. I've now asked Ashley about 10 times if she's ok and if she needs to throw up, because she's laying on the handle of the cart. She assures me she doesn't. I tell her we'll lay down when we get home and we'll hurry.
Almost there. Trying to fish out coupons and debit card out of my purse while holding Jason. I swipe the debit card and out of the corner of my eye I see Ashley losing her breakfast all over herself and the floor of the grocery store. I try to catch some of it. I don't know why--reflex? Because one hand obviously couldn't hold it all, and I caught her mid-stream anyway. Now what? I'm holding Jason in one hand and Ashley's breakfast in the other. The clerk hands me some paper towels to clean it up. So I get to work one handed. Meanwhile Tyler and Hailey are telling me if they smell it they will also throw up. I tell them to go over and look at the pictures on the redbox. Hailey wants to know if she still gets a tattoo. I promised her she could, apparently. I ask Tyler is he'll come over and take Jason--that's a funny joke. Jason weighs about as much as Tyler (I'm exagerating, but he can't hold him while standing up) and Tyler says he can't because he'll throw up. I guess this is when the clerk decides I need some help, despite her aversion to my daughters puke on the floor, and takes Jason from me...so I can continue to clean up. Then she hands me some cleaner. Thanks. She also mentions Jason is really heavy, but she'll hold him anyway despite her back problems. I'll probably get sued.

Paper towels and glass cleaner just don't do a good enough job. But I get it mostly wiped up and stored away in a plastic bag to throw away on the way out. Ashley's feeling much better and wants a piece of gum at the quarter machines. Ugh. I don't want to touch anything with my hands till I have sanitized (in the diaper bag in the car) but I dig out some quarters that I put in my back pocket--knowing I had to have them handy at the end of the grocery trip. Hailey gets her tattoo, Tyler (and yes, Ashley) get a piece of gum. I take off Ashley's clothes in the car to put in a plastic bag (DANGIT, I just put in the LAST batch of clothes before we left) and sanitize everything. Get the kids all belted in and the groceries in the back...all the while the popsicles are melting. Jason's crying now because he's tired again.

We get home and I carry Ashley in--wearing only panties, no shoes (Ashley, not me). Start the bath water. Hailey wants me to put her tattoo on. I get all the groceries in and turn off the bath water, get Ashley in, put away the popsicles and refrigerated stuff. Get Jason in bed. Put Hailey's tattoo on. Put away the rest of the groceries and switch the laundry. Then blog :) Now Jason's awake and I have to fold laundry. So, there you have it. What a day. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel much better.

PS Ashley's feeling much better, ate quite a bit just now, but Hailey just fell asleep on the couch. Great.

15 comments:

Sandy Brunson said...

Love it! Thanks for the good read. You are an amazing mom.

annette said...

ha ha I remember days like this. now I have slave babysitters lol.
it could have been worseshe could have puked in the basket with the food in it (: and funny that the clerk complained about the baby. Wow people are so helpful!!

The Davies Family said...

I am laughing ONLY because I can totally sympathize..I HATE taking that evening time to go grocery shopping so I push through with three..now granted you are a braver and better woman than I taking four..but I do have a screamer so I consider myself brave at times. I think by the end of that all I would have COMPLETELY lost it!! How did you stay so calm and together? Holy Moly! I would have been like 'Serenity NOW' and screamed out. They would have hauled ME off in a paddy wagon and the kids to DCFS or something to that effect. The whole car cart being gone would have tipped me off that the trip was going to be a disaster..but like You I would have pushed throug it anyway because I had JUSt hauled all the kids there and I was THERE..end of story..hahahah though, good times!

Tera said...

You amaze me! I would have come home crying my eyes out with frustration. You sound like you took it all in stride. You are such a great mom. Very patient. I think I need to take lessons. :)

Strupp Family said...

I was pretty proud of myself for keeping it together, actually. Don't think this wasn't the exception--which is why I had to vent through blogging.

Lisa Strupp said...

Oh my gosh! I seriously laughed so hard when I read this! I swear, going to the grocery store with more than one kid and BY YOURSELF should be an olympic event! I go crazy with my 2, I can't believe how amazing you are for going with 4! Not to mention one that can't walk, one that's sick, and one that just got a cast off! You put WONDER-WOMAN to shame!!!! lol MISS YOU GUYS!!! 21 more days!!

tootallstrupp said...

Not going to lie Kim, that was the best birth control EVER!! lol Wow, sounds like you had quite a day...and it just proves what I have known for years, you are SUPER MOM! I miss you guys! Love you!!!

Lisa said...

I feel your pain. Been there, done that.

NateandMarie said...

wow

Shayla said...

puts my story to shame! i only have ONE and i can't handle him! oh dear. hey, we did think about you guys in Yellowstone. we will be back to Gillette so we will see you for sure next time. we have to. i am just sitting here tonight trying not to have the baby, but laughing at your story! brig has to work all night...

Erica Johnston said...

So REAL!!! YOU should be laying on the couch!

grammie kim said...

ok I think I just pee'd my pants, that is so funny. Well now for me, later for you. Thanks for starting off my day with a great laugh. Hope all else there in livingston is going good, and treavors practice is good. love and miss ya all

Peggy Ann said...

Oh, that made me LAUGH OUT LOUD (more than once!) What a day! you are amazing!

grammie kim said...

hey I am coming to montana on the 7th of october and leaving the 9th. I was wondering if I could stay there, I hate to impose, and if there isn't room, i am cool with it, so it would be the 7th and 8th, and I go to class each morning til like 10 so its just sleeping not even eating. what ya think

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Kim, I read this out loud to Curt a few weeks ago and first of all, you are a great writer and second of all, we agree with all who say you are amazing. As I was reading about trying to catch puke :) I was thinking that it's hard to measure how much we love our kids as we work through these annoying, gross, embarrassing exhausting times. But the love for them is all wrapped up in those everyday details--good and bad. Thanks for sharing, Kim! Glad I got to see you this summer.