Saturday, August 16, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

My little boy is growing up. It's a little sad to see them go off to school for the first full day of school. I'm always worried about what words he's learning on the bus (or any new anatomical terms he has not yet heard). I always worry about the kids at school and whether they'll want to be his friend and play with him--he tends to be a little shy at first. I DID worry about his teacher (after a less than stellar teacher last year), but after meeting this year's teacher I think she's the best thing since sliced bread. So I worry a little less. Here's a picture of Tyler before school.



I didn't even cry.

He told me his first day of school was good, but he didn't make any friends. I then proceeded to assure him that it would be like last year where he didn't know the boys and girls at first, but pretty soon he would get to know them and become friends. Then I asked him about recess and he told me all about some of the kids he played with and the people he sat by at lunch. I asked him if these people were his friends and he said they weren't because he didn't know their names. Funny kid.

After all is said and done, I hope I've taught him well enough about right and wrong. I hope he's got it through his head he should not talk or go with a stranger. I hope I've taught him the things he shouldn't be doing, even if his friends want him too. And I hope I've taught him to be who he is no matter what. I know, a little sappy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have a child in public school!! I'm glad you love the Cullen too. What a cutie.

The Peake Family said...

He will do great. At least we were able to spend the day together. That totally made it better. Oh, and yea, what's up with public school?

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Brave Mom! Totally appropriate time to get sappy.

And what a lucky kid to have you. He'll do great.

Jami said...

Hey Kim I am sure you have done a great job. we are trying to decide what to do when Jake is done with school and I wanted to ask you some questions, so will you email when you get a sec. thanks jamihaz@gmail.com

Tera said...

I'm feeling the exact same way. Joey starts kindergarten next Monday. Are our kids ready? I hope so.

Natalie said...

Hey Kim! I am getting kindergarten gitters--Britt starts next Monday! I totally share all your worries. Britt has already come home with some shocking things to say from her daycare where she is only there 2 days a week. I just wish I could go with her and be invisible for the 1st week to see how everything goes!! Lucky for her that is not possible! I guess you just cross your fingers and let them go.

The Davies Family said...

We are still waiting for our first day of 'all day kindergarten' its not until after Labor Day..but I'm sure I will cry..tears of joy! Hallelujia! summer is over, school begins..no more scrambling to find something to do to keep the kids occupied, no more 'mom with three kids' nope, i'll be down to two and even one somedays! whoo-hoo!

Amanda said...

Tyler! What a big boy!

Is Haylee still praying about us? Meishe says, "Thank you for letting us play over at your house, Haylee!" I told her we were visiting you on your blog just now.

mags said...

austin had his first big day tuesday. he was so excited he wouldn't even hold still for a picture. i miss him all day. tyler looks so much taller to me.